Are you worried that a friend is self-harming? It’s a good idea to talk to someone you trust, like a parent, a teacher or school counsellor.
If your friend is in a crisis, please call:
- Calgary’s Distress Centre (free 24/7 crisis line): 403-266-HELP (4357); (TTY for the hearing impaired: 403-543-1967)
- ConnecTeen 24-hr support line: 403-264-TEEN (8336)
- Kids Help Phone (24/7 support line): 1-800-668-6868 (Especially if you DO NOT live in Calgary)
Here are a few other steps that you can take to help your friend:
- Educate yourself about self-injury (you’re already off to a great start);
- Lead with compassion, and avoid anger and judgment. Your friend isn’t trying to hurt you, make you feel guilty or get attention;
- Focus on your friend’s concerns or issues, not the act of self-injury;
- Let your friend know that you’re there to listen, you care about them, and you want to help;
- Encourage your friend to get a trusted adult involved in order to seek further help.
If you are self-injuring, there is support. You are not alone.